missreader

Miss Reader

Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas

Scandal in Spring - Lisa Kleypas

Scandal in Spring wasn't the strong finish I was hoping for since it's the last full novel in the Wallflower series.

It was good. Don't get me wrong. Daisy and Matthew make a cute couple. I wasn't surprised she didn't end up with Cam since I already read his book, Mine Till Midnight (which I absolutely loved by the way) and knew what happened to him.

I thought Matthew was a good match for Daisy. I liked the set-up of Mr. Bowman giving Daisy the ultimatum that she should find a man to marry by the end of May or else he will make her marry Matthew. This way you get to learn more about the Bowman family dynamic, like about Mr. Bowman and how the way he runs his business affects his family.

It was adorable how Matthew likes to carry so much stuff in his pockets, things like a folding knife, fishing line, coins, a pen nib, a pair of spectacles and more.

She let a teasing note enter her voice. "Is there any emergency for which you are not prepared, Mr. Swift?" "Miss Bowman, if I had enough pockets I could save the world."

I thought it was funny how competitive Daisy and Matthew got when they played lawn bowls, a game which is kinda similar to bowling. (You play by trying to roll a ball and get it as close as you can to another ball called a jack.)

So many good things to say. Yet, Scandal in Spring just didn't feel quite perfect. I think maybe the problem was that I had trouble fully appreciating Daisy's character. She likes books and is whimsical and a little quirky, just simply adorable, but I feel like she doesn't stand out even in her own book. I like her sister Lilian more. Lilian tends to steal the show with her big personality and overshadow Daisy.

Speaking of Lilian, I like the way she looks out for her sister. She comes off as overprotective, but eventually she softens up her stance against Matthew.

Oh and there were some nice Lilian and Lord Westcliff moments too. I welcome it, because Westcliff is my faaaavorite. Sorry, Daisy.

Another problem I think is that compared to the other books Scandal in Spring isn't as intense. Daisy and Matthew's story is lighter and sweeter. That is not a bad thing, but it makes the book feel like it's missing some fire.

There's a novella after this called A Wallflower Christmas. Hopefully that will conclude the series in an even better way. I will write my thoughts on the series as whole when I review that book.

Scandal in Spring Verdict: I recommend it.

x-posted: