missreader

Miss Reader

SPOILER ALERT!

Dragon Bound (Elder Races Series #1)

Dragon Bound - Thea Harrison

Oh. My. Gosh. I actually like this book.

And I'm glad too, because I like dragons and paranormal romances so a paranormal romance featuring a dragon shapeshifter should be right up my alley.

So let's start with Dragos. He's the big, bad dragon in the story. (Obviously. Look at his name.) He is aggressive, and he is possessive of Pia, but I think it works here, because this kind of personality is suitable for a dragon, especially since Dragos is a dragon who likes to hoard. He collects all kinds of treasures like books, art, jewels, and even pennies. It helps, though, that Dragos doesn't completely act this way throughout the whole story. As the book progresses, he tries to understand Pia and his feelings for her. I noticed that Dragos always asks Pia what's wrong and tries to talk it out with her.

One of my favorite moments was when Graydon, one of Dragos's sentinels, gave Pia her present. (I guess Dragos didn't give to her himself, because he's new to the being romantic thing.)

"A dragon just gave me a piece of jewelry," she said. She took another swig and handed the bottle back to Graydon. "Have I been
added to his hoard?"

He shook his head and drank too. "No, cupcake," he said. "I'm pretty sure you've replaced it."
p 242, Dragon Bound

I also liked Pia. Her personality also made sense to me since she's a unicorn shapeshifter. I figured this out long before it was revealed. If you pay close enough attention, you can see that the author gives subtle clues. What gave me the idea was Pia's long white/gold hair and how she loves to run and how she says she will be hunted down if people found out what she was since her blood has healing properties. That reminded me of The Last Unicorn for some reason. Anyway, I liked how she stands up to Dragos at times and tells him not to order her around. She definitely isn't a pushover. She is also definitely aware what kind of person Dragos is, and she does find it weird that she is somehow falling in love with him. For example, she tries to sort out her feelings in this quote:

He was beyond splendid. He made her breath catch and her heart race, her temper flare and her sense of humor sharpen. He had her sexuality dancing for joy.

He wanted her to trust him, but how could she trust someone she didn't understand?

How could she love someone who admitted he didn't even know what love was, who claimed her as his possession, and who was capable of almost killing his oldest, most trusted ally and friend?

Wait a minute. she didn't just think that, did she?

Well, it wasn't true. She was suffering from a supersized value meal of Stockholm syndrome. She would admit to having a mouthwatering crazy going-on for him. Heh, not like she could deny that at this late stage. But she would not admit to the L word.
p 232, Dragon Bound

It honestly took me a while to get into the book, but after a few chapters I was hooked. The writing in the beginning stumbles around a bit when the author introduces Pia and how she is on the run. The pacing is also slow, but I think it suits the story. And even though Pia and Dragos fall in love over a few days, the author at least shows how they grow into loving each other.

I think what really makes the novel worthwhile though is the world-building. It's interesting and easy to follow despite some info dumping, and even though there are a lot of magical creatures introduced (elves, gryphons, a thunderbird, a harpy...), it's not overwhelming. I like how it takes place in a world where magical beings live right alongside humans.

Now as for the cover.... I read the English mass market paperback edition, and I think it has the better cover compared to the audio and German editions. The combination of purples and yellows is eye-catching. I like the font used for the title, and I like how the green makes it stand out. I'm sure the model is suppose to be Dragos. He fits closely to the description in the book, having golden eyes and dark hair, but Dragos is suppose to have dark bronze skin. I remember that it's mentioned in the story how his skin contrasts with Pia's paleness so I would imagine that he has darker skin than what the cover model has. I think the model also could have had a more ferocious or brooding expression, because he looks blank. I do like the scale pattern effect on his back though, but I'm not sure if the structure near his back is supposed to be a wing or not, because to me it looks like some kind of part of a Gothic structure.