missreader

Miss Reader

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Volume 1: v. 1

Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 1: The Millenium Puzzle - Kazuki Takahashi

After reading volumes 6 and 7 of the original series, I decided to reread volumes 1-5, because it's been such a long time since I last read them, and I want to give them more accurate rating.

On that note, I'm sorry to say that this has gone down from 4 to 3 stars, and I have a feeling this will be the same for the others. I like it, but I don't like it as much as I used to when I was total Yu-Gi-Oh! fan many years ago.

But I have to say volume 1 is still a little disturbing. One game Dark Yugi plays involves stabbing money on top of his hand with a knife. Another is a form of ice hockey that's played with a puck filled with explosive chemicals. Yup, crazy stuff. The consequences for the losers of the games are still creepy too. For example, one guy is set on fire, and another is punished by being forced to listen to the beating of his own heart. I definitely wouldn't recommend this manga to young children. I would say from middle schoolers and up would be appropriate.

As a Yu-Gi-Oh fan, I think the most interesting part is the art in this volume, because the characters look a little different, and Takahashi doesn't seemed to have a hang of his style yet. Yugi's bangs are curvy instead of zig-zaggy, and Dark Yugi looks especially crazy when he first appears. Honda, Jonouchi, and Anzu look different as well.