missreader

Miss Reader

The Berenstain Bears and the Mama's Day Surprise

The Berenstain Bears and the Mama's Day Surprise - Stan Berenstain,  Jan Berenstain

Eh, so sometimes I'll read children's books for fun. I read this one in particular, because when I was a kid, I read a lot of Berenstain Bear books. Those and Dr. Seuss books helped me learn how to read. When I saw this on my library's Overdrive site, I thought it would be neat to catch up on the newer books to see if I like them or not.

Well, I didn't like this one. It relies on the stereotypical roles of the smart mom vs dumb dad. Here Mama Bear leaves around clues and helps out a bit to ensure that Papa Bear and the cubs won't screw up Mother's Day. She's also not looking forward to the mess they'll be making in the kitchen when they make her Mother's Day breakfast. Jeez. You'd think she would have some more faith in them. I also don't like how it suggests that Papa and the cubs only have to do something special for Mama this one time in the year.