missreader

Miss Reader

SPOILER ALERT!

The Bride Thief (Harlequin Presents)

The Bride Thief (Harlequin Presents) - Jennie Lucas

I almost did not finish this, because the story is absolutely ridiculous. I know Harlequin Presents books sometimes can be on the cheesy side, maybe even a little bit silly, but I still enjoy them for what they are. This one… simply felt like a parody.

First off, Rose happens to meet Swedish baron Lars Växborg in San Francisco at the diner she works at, and he instantly falls in love with her so within a few months they get married. That’s just the introduction. After they’re married, Rose gets kidnapped by wealthy Greek guy Xerxes Novros. Xerxes tells her that the wedding was a fake and that Lars is already married. Apparently, Lars’s wife was in a car accident and is in a coma, and Lars is waiting out for her to die. Xerxes wants that woman back (In the end, it’s revealed that she is his sister.), but Lars keeps hiding her and moving her whenever Xerxes comes close to finding her. Xerxes kidnapped Rose so he can trade her for Lars’s wife, and while Rose is stuck with Xerxes, she instantly is turned on by him and falls in love with him, of course. Heck, near the end there is even somewhat of a chase scene.

Overall, I found this entertaining in a way. That’s why I’m giving it 2 stars instead of 1. But it’s just too absurd for my taste. I read it as fast as I could since I didn’t want to waste too much time on it.