missreader

Miss Reader

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1)

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1) -

I had to push myself through this, but I'm glad I did, because I ended up liking it.

Not love. Just like.

The story was the best thing about it. It was an interesting take on Cinderella by making Cinderella a cyborg and putting it in a science fiction setting.

It absolutely falls apart at world building though. It felt superficial. It was neat that it takes places in New Beijing, because yay for more Asian culture in YA. At least that was my thought at first... but the name is just there for show. No culture is delved into here. Not even a bit and that annoyed me immensely. (It's what almost made me stop reading the book.)

Never understood the prejudice against cyborgs. The author doesn't really explain it. It's just there. Plus, it didn't make sense to me that people who are part machine would be looked down upon, because wouldn't it be a good thing that we would have the technology to rebuild body parts? I would totally understand some sort of discrimination, sure, but the whole second class citizen thing? I wasn't convinced.

Also, androids. The book never gave good descriptions of what the characters looked like, and this really bothered me, especially when it came to the androids like Iko, who is Cinder's robotic sidekick. I settled on picturing her as something like WALL-E or R.O.B. from Super Smash Bros.

Eh, I liked the characters themselves. They were fun to read about, but I didn't find them well-rounded.

I will be checking out the sequel when it comes out. I'm interested enough to see where the story goes. Hopefully, it will be less predictable.