missreader

Miss Reader

Speed Dating (Harlequin Nascar)

Speed Dating (Harlequin Nascar) - Nancy Warren

The Cover: I gotta agree with other reviewers who have said that the guy on the cover looks like a teenager. He looks waaay too young.

The cover also says that there is a Driver Cameo by Carl Edwards, who is a real life NASCAR driver. I can confirm that he does appear in the book for a few short scenes, and in one he gives love advice to the heroine. Personally, I find a real driver having a cameo... weird. I mean, I'm alright with NASCAR trying to appeal to their female fans, (Romance novels, though? o_O) but the cameo was just too much for me. It made me cringe. Fun fact: Apparently, Edwards helped the author create his fictional representation. Wut. He also appeared at a speed dating event that was organized by Harlequin and was held at the Daytona International Speedway. Lolz. I really wonder how he felt doing all that.

The Story: The novel itself... it's bad. A poor romance to be exact. I thought it was cool that the racing part was delved into quite a bit. That's something I thought Erin McCarthy's Fast Track books, a stock car romance series that doesn't have the NASCAR name, could have used more of. However, the main leads in Speed Dating had no chemistry between them whatsoever. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. I also hated how Dylan wouldn't put a stop to his ex-wife in trying to lure him back. I skimmed the last half of the book just to see for myself if he does indeed let his ex kiss him without any sort of struggle. Yep, it's true. What a guy.