missreader

Miss Reader

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World - Vicki Myron, Bret Witter

Source: Bought at used bookstore. (isbn: 0446407410, hardcover)

Reading Challenges: What an Animal (book is about a cat), Where Are You Reading (book takes place in Iowa)

My Thoughts: I was disappointed in this. Judging by the cover, you would think that this book would be a cute story about a library cat. It’s not. There’s a whole bunch of stuff about the town of Spencer, and the author gives her own biography. Dewey felt like a sideline.

Now I understand that the author was trying to connect Dewey to a bigger picture like how he impacted the community and her own life, but the connections weren’t really strong and sometimes these moments were annoying. I wanted to read about Dewey. I didn’t want to read about this constant romanticization of small towns neither did I want to hear about the depressing issues the author had to go through in her life. I’m not trying to belittle what she went through, but it felt inappropriate in a book that’s supposed to be about Dewey, especially since she talks about things like suicide, alcoholism, breast cancer and how she got a double mastectomy… It just brought down the book for me.

The Dewey parts were sorta cute, but were extremely repetitive. There was a lot about how Dewey made library patrons feel good or special by giving them attention or sitting in their laps. There was like a whole chapter devoted to Dewey and his love of rubber bands. There was also a lot of talk about poop and Dewey’s litter box.

2 out of 5 :/

I was on the fence about keeping this book, because it was a memorable read in its own right and I love the cute cover, but I think it would be better to let it go, because I don’t want to be reminded how depressing it was every time I look at it.