missreader

Miss Reader

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls Series #1)

Shiver  - Maggie Stiefvater

Best thing about this book was the cover. It's beautiful, and I love looking at it and admiring the artwork.

The actual story on the other hand is a huge disappointment. There isn't a strong plot. The majority of the book is just about Sam and Grace romancing it up and Sam trying to escape the cold so he doesn't change. All of this gets boring very quickly. There are a few antagonists, but they hardly create any conflict and only appear for mere moments in the book. I also didn't like any of the characters. Grace lacked a personality and was just plain selfish. Sam seemed like what the author would imagine a perfect teenage boyfriend to be. It's hard to even tell Sam's and Grace's voices apart despite the chapters being labeled clearly with whose viewpoint it has. I hated how Sam and Grace's relationship is based on obsessing over each other. Grace basically obsessed over a wolf for years before finding out it that it's actually a boy who is a werewolf. This brings up images of bestiality. I also noticed that there was also a lot of smelling in this book. It's annoying how Sam or Grace keep describing over and over again what the other person smells like. I got it the first time, ok?