missreader

Miss Reader

Bambi's Children by Felix Salten

Bambi's Children: The Story of a Forest Family - Felix Salten, Richard Cowdrey

Bambi #2

In Bambi's Children you get to see what happens to Bambi's family (his mate Feline and their two fawns, Geno and Gurri). Bambi makes appearances too, but he isn't constantly there.

It's not as dark and grim as the first book since there aren't many major character deaths, but other creatures in the forest do get killed. For instance, a cat and later on a fox terrorize the woods by killing all the birds and other small animals they can get. There's also a dog from a nearby town that reverts to its wolf instincts and starts to hunt deer.

Man is also in the book, but he loses a lot of his mystique since he isn't as mysterious. Gurri, Bambi's daughter, gets captured by a gamekeeper after she's been attacked by a fox, and Bambi goes to the gamekeeper's house to rescue her. A young boy who is too eager to shoot something with his gun shows up near the end of the book.

Bambi is pretty awesome. As Prince of the Forest he is not to be messed with, and it's cool to see him in charge.

Those poor finches! I took an ornithology class once so I knew right away that their baby was actually a cuckoo.

I feel like the translation wasn't as good as the first book's. It was translated by a different person, and I dunno what to say other than it feels different. It could be due to the author's writing, but it's hard to say since this is the only English translation.

Memorable quote:

"We are one with the trees and they with us. We have the same need to grow and flourish and sink our own roots into the earth; and so long as there is earth, both they and we will go on side by side."

My rating: 4 out of 5

Source: Bought it. Mine is actually the 1939 edition illustrated by Kurt Wiese and Erna Pinner. It's too hard to link to the exact one on Amazon since it's an older book.