missreader

Miss Reader

SPOILER ALERT!

Video Game: Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons

A man, clinging to life. His two sons, desperate to cure their ailing father, are left with but one option. They must set out upon a journey to find and bring back the "Water of Life" as they come to rely on one another to survive. One must be strong where the other is weak, brave where the other is fearful, they must be... Brothers. --Amazon

Wowie wow wow. Another game that I got from Playstation Plus, and it's a good one. If you have this through Playstation Plus, you must at least give this a try. If you don't, I'd say it's worth the buy. As simplistic as the game is, it provides a moving experience.

First off, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is best played with a controller, because you control each brother with an analog stick and the respective trigger button. Little brother is the right stick and right trigger, while big brother is the left stick and left trigger. It's awkward and takes some getting used to.

Even though the controls are weird, they become an important component in telling the story. This is what I liked best about Brothers, because it shows a unique way video games can have in narrating. I don't want to spoil it, because it's best when you come to that part to figure it out on your own, because when I did, I was like "Of course!"

The story isn't really surprising or deeply original, but I think it's the execution that makes it memorable. For instance after

big brother dies, you as little brother have to bury him. It would be one thing to read or watch that but to actually push buttons to make the character act really puts you into the character's shoes. Additionally when big brother dies you're no longer using your left hand so it's something you feel not only emotionally but physically too.

(show spoiler)

It's a short game, and the gameplay isn't hard. I don't consider myself good at puzzles, and I breezed through everything. I think this was a good choice by the developers since it allows you to focus more on the story.

The graphics are simple yet beautiful. It felt like something out of a storybook or fairytale, a grim one that is. I loved the part with the orcas, and I thought the griffin was cute. There's also a part where you journey through a terrain filled with dead giants and the water runs red with their blood.

There are also some small sidequests to do along the way, just some extra tasks. There was one quest that struck me. You come across a person who is about to hang himself (His family died in a fire it looks like). I panicked when I saw him kick the stool away, and I felt so much relief when I saved him. It was a heavy moment.

Rating: 4 out of 5