missreader

SPOILER ALERT!

The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers by Lilian Jackson Braun

The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers - Lilian Jackson Braun

Cat Who #29

Well this is it, the last book of the Cat Who series.

One thing to keep in mind is that the author didn't intend The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers to be the very last book. There were plans for at least one more called The Cat Who Smelled Smoke, but it was canceled after the author died.

With that said, it's understandable that The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers isn't a strong conclusion to the series. It brings up questions which I suspect were going to be covered in The Cat Who Smelled Smoke.

For instance, two bombshells were dropped: Polly leaves Pickax and Qwill's barn burns down to the ground. Finally some exciting stuff happens! Awesome!

However, it was executed very poorly. Qwill doesn't show any reaction at all to Polly (his girlfriend) staying in Paris. He isn't sad or mad, just indifferent. I guess this book is showing their break-up? I suppose the author wanted to avoid things getting messy and confrontational between Qwill and Polly since she never really gets into that type of thing in these books.

Polly's decision by itself was weird too since she was going to Paris with a friend for fun and somehow someone offered her a job while she's there? What.

Qwill also doesn't react when his converted barn burns down. Just nothing at all from him. He doesn't seem to care. It's been his home for all these books. and he doesn't even go to the place to see the damage.

I can't remember if there was even a mystery, and at this point I don't care. The writing was still bad. Qwill and all the characters have become shallow and flat. I'm sorry to say it, but maybe it's a good thing that the series has ended.

Rating: 1 out of 5

Source: Borrowed from library

Previously... The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell

Series Overview

For fun a graph of my ratings. As you can see it takes a major dive at the end.

cat who ratings graph

I frankly wouldn't recommend the series. They're cute reads but not astounding. Maybe read the first few books (in order is best) if you're curious and just want to sample. I read the whole thing until the bitter end, because I was introduced to these books when I was in middle school, and it has always been a goal of mine to read all of them. There's sentimental value for me. Now that I have finished, I can move on!