missreader

Miss Reader

Movie: Moulin Rouge! (2001)

Moulin Rouge! poster

A poet falls for a beautiful courtesan whom a jealous duke covets in this stylish musical, with music drawn from familiar 20th century sources. --IMDb

This is my second time watching, and surprisingly I liked it a tad better.

I liked how pop music was used. It was fun seeing and hearing different takes on familiar songs. My favorite was the "Like a Virgin" performance.

I was fine with everyone's singing except for Ewan McGregor's. He wasn't terrible, but his singing voice wasn't exactly soothing to my ears. Sometimes it sounded like wailing.

The film editing was still atrocious. No matter how many times I watch, I don't think the constant ever changing shots will ever grow on me. It gives me headache. Seriously, it made my eyeballs hurt. It was useful for some scenes. It added to the theatrics, but my goodness the whole, entire movie didn't have to be like that. It's too bad since the extravagant visuals were a definite plus.

The story wasn't very original. Satine and Christian fall in love right away, and the movie keeps proclaiming about love in a shallow way. But I was ok with it. There was enough good stuff everywhere else like in the music and visuals to make up for it. Plus, I think I'm forgiving since this is a musical, and the musical approach was very well done.

Lively and enjoyable despite the problems I had with it.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5