missreader

Miss Reader

Awakening by Kitty Thomas

Awakening - Kitty Thomas

So far these short stories by Kitty Thomas haven't been all that. I was a little lenient and gave The Auction three stars, because I was intrigued by the aliens. For Awakening, I couldn't muster up much interest even though it involved mermaids.

I liked the idea of mermaids losing their tail when they lust after a human, and I wasn't turn off by the man capturing and forcibly seducing a mermaid to turn her into a human.

I just wish it was longer and more fully fleshed out. This could have made a good novel.

The writing also could have been better. What irked me the most was how there was a lot of telling and not enough showing. It's told in first person and a lot of the mermaid lore is explained by Nerina while we're in her mind. This didn't work for me, because it didn't make the story's world come to life. It didn't make it richer. I think it bogged the narrative down, because I was getting tired of Nerina's blabbing and wanted more focus on what was happening in front of her.

My Rating: 1.5 out of 5