missreader

Miss Reader

SPOILER ALERT!

Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas

Sugar Daddy - Lisa Kleypas

(This review is on the rambling side. Also beware of spoilers. I covered the major ones, but other things give the story away.)

My first time reading one of Kleypas's contemporary works, and I didn't like it much. :( It was cliche and shallow.

I didn't like Liberty. Everything came so easy to her... men, money.... Sure she is portrayed to have come from a hard life (basically two-thirds of the book was dedicated to showing this), but Liberty didn't ever truly struggle. It was like typical angst just so you can feel sorry for her. And Liberty herself didn't have any actual personality flaws except for maybe not moving on from Hardy.

And the sugar daddy thing, Liberty didn't even really work for that either since the old man

used to be her mom's sugar daddy

(show spoiler)

and he was keeping somewhat of a close eye on Liberty after Liberty's mom died. He's pretty much why she had success, and once she finally meets him everything is handed to her--a job, a home, a hot boyfriend. I found it ridiculous. It was like a fairytale but in a bad way. Instead of being magical, everything was convenient.

Liberty picks

Gage

(show spoiler)

in the end. No surprise. I felt like Liberty treated him as some sort of prize she won. It seemed like she was bragging in the very last chapter, because she points out how rich she is with the grand things she has. Such a turn off.

I thought it was a cool writing risk to introduce the actual hero like around 60% into the book, but as a result, you don't learn much about him, and his personality isn't fleshed out. Like why does he even like Liberty? He basically instantly fell in love with her after she fed him some chicken soup when he was sick. Plus, she's beautiful.

Maybe I would have liked this more if Liberty's 'woe is me' teenage backstory would have been cut short and more time was spent on developing Liberty and Gage's relationship.

Nitpick. How many times do I have to be reminded that this book takes place in Texas? Like almost every page, I'm told by Liberty this is how things are done in Texas.

Author gets some credit for having a colored heroine (romance genre seems to lack in that), and I like the idea of someone trying to move on from their first love.

I continue to like Kleypas's writing. She is one of my favorite authors. Even though I was super annoyed by the story, I couldn't stop reading.

I'll read the next book, but I'm not looking forward to it. Hardy was an asshole.

Rating: 2 out of 5 ;_;