missreader

Wickedest Witch - Eve Langlais

Wickedest Witch

by Eve Langlais

Source: Was free on Amazon

First published: 2010 (Note that the version I'm reading is the expanded version of the original. There is an author's foreword explaining this.)

Pages: 205

First words: "I don't think we should see each other anymore," said her boyfriend of three months, practically a record for her.

Entertaining, but this book fell short for me.

I liked Evangeline. She is certainly wicked and doesn't bat an eye when she does cold-hearted things like turn her ex-boyfriend into a rat after he breaks up with her. Kinda mean, but she has magic and isn't afraid to use it. I thought that was badass of her.

Ryker is a typical big bad cat shifter with a cocky attitude. I thought he was alright even though most of the time he was lusting after Evangeline and dreaming about having sex with her. Evangeline does this too, but at least there was more to her character with her witchy ways.

It was cool how Ryker was a black panther shifter. I liked how that played into the idea of witches and their pet black cats. At one point in the book, Ryker poses in his panther form as Evangeline's familiar while they go into a vampire coven to question the lead vampire. It was cute whenever she called him her kitty and petted him.

Like other Langlais books, there's some good humor here. This one wasn't laugh out loud funny, but it kept me in a light-hearted mood.

There was this one particular thing that brought down the book for me. When Evangeline and Ryker stopped the person from kidnapping Rumpelstiltskin's daughter, there wasn't any explanation who it was or why they did it, which was really, really odd. They didn't question or even wonder who this person was.

RATING: 2.5 out of 5