missreader

Source: I have the DVD

Rated: PG-13

Released: 2002

Watch the trailer

After watching The Back-up Plan about a month ago, I've been wanting to re-watch some Jennifer Lopez rom-coms. Why? Because I can. They also have a certain charm to them I'll admit. Plus, I own a couple of her movies. Maid in Manhattan had been sitting on my desk for a while.

So this movie wasn't too bad. It didn't make me cringe like The Back-up Plan did.

There were some pretty funny moments. I particularly found the political aide funny with his mind dead set on Chris's campaign. The rest of the supporting characters like the other maids, the butler, and the security guard were funny too. Too bad they were only a blip in the story.

The romance was mostly dull. Marisa (Jennifer Lopez) and Chris (Ralph Fiennes) just didn't have much chemistry together. So stale. Their acting was ok, but together they weren't convincing as a couple.

The story was ok. Nothing special. Nothing surprising. Cliche? Yes completely, but it had some nice cheer to it.

I was surprised how quickly the movie ended after Chris forgave Marisa for deceiving him. As a whole, the ending didn't work for me since it was so corny with the kid giving a speech about forgiveness and then leading Chris to his mom. Eh.

The soundtrack was nice. I'll give it that.

RATING: 2 out of 5