missreader

Miss Reader

SPOILER ALERT!

Fairytale by Maggie Shayne: A man is destined to fall in love with a fairy

Fairytale - Maggie Shayne

Fairytale (Fairies of Rush #1)

by Maggie Shayne

Source: Was free from Amazon

First published: 1996

Pages: 377

First words: Seven-year old Adam Reid raced through the forest, zigging and zagging like a mad bumblebee, arms spread out at his sides.

Oh I did not like this.

The plot uses the most roundabout way to get the twin sisters back together. One sister creates a painting, gives it away, and hopes it somehow leads her twin sister back to her? I guess the painting is supposed to be magical, but I found the idea to be silly.

Adam was a major creep. At one point, he peeps through the window and watches Brigit take a bath.

Brigit came across as a little girl even though she's supposed to be what... in her twenties or something? She's always so scared and wimpy, pretty much gutless. I got tired of her quickly.

I also got tired of Adam saying how much he was in pain emotionally and how he couldn't have Brigit. Uuugh stop.

I was not fond of the romance. Adam simply lusts after Brigit, and there isn't much reason to him falling in love with her beside having it be destined.

The presence of fairies and magic isn't strong. It only really comes up at the end.

And the ending is terrible. There is a bunch of boo-hooing about how Brigit has to leave Adam, because she has to go back with her sister to fairyland. Well, as soon as she leaves she finds out she can go back if she gives up her magic. Brigit does and returns minutes later to Adam. So much fuss and that's what you get?

A bad read for me. I was surprised that I managed to read it all the way through.

RATING: 1 out of 5