missreader

Miss Reader

Movie Sunday: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)

A Game of Shadows poster

Source: Bought new from retail store

Watch the trailer

Such a fun movie! But I think I liked the first one better, because it was darker and had black magic. The villain in A Game of Shadows was formidable and a perfect match against Holmes, but he didn't seem to have a big presence. He wasn't as flashy as the first villain since the first villain, for example, seemingly came back to life after he died and killed people by using dark magic. Also, I kept getting the guys with beards mixed up. The main villain looked similar to one of his lackeys so sometimes I had to rewind and double check who was who.

There were many funny parts. I laughed when Holmes was being a badass battling against enemies on the train even though he was half naked and had makeup smeared all over his face, a leftover from his disguise as a woman. Another funny part was when Holmes rode a small, little pony while everyone else had horses. That sequence was simply hilarious.

The costumes and scenery were beautiful. Sometimes I paid more attention to these. I couldn't help myself. They were incredibly well done!

Lots of action and fighting. Lots of slow motion was used too, but I thought some of the slow motion was used interestingly. It added some artistic style to this one sequence in particular where Holmes, Watson, and the gypsies were trying to escape from the guards.

I haven't read any of the Sherlock Holmes books. I should put it on my 'to read' list.