missreader

Miss Reader

SPOILER ALERT!

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Frankenstein - Diane Johnson, Mary Shelley

Source: Bought used from used bookstore

Originally published: 1818

Pages: 206

First sentence: You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded with such evil forebodings.

I read this back in high school, and I remember having a hard time reading it due to the prose. Plus the aspect of reading assignments turned me off, especially how you have to read so many pages at a given time. You can't read at your own pace.

This time around since I'm older and I'm reading Frankenstein for my own pleasure, I found it to be a lot more enjoyable. There were some spots when I had a little trouble with the language, and sometimes the story lagged like when Victor had to be admiring the mountains for paragraphs and paragraphs. But overall, I found this to be a compelling read.

What mainly impacted me was the misery that both Victor and the monster felt. I related to this a lot. I was moved by how beautifully presented the dark emotions were. As odd as this sounds, it was touching to see Victor feel like he couldn't be happy anymore. I know that feeling.

The creator versus the creation aspect was fascinating too. Like, was it Victor's fault that his creation turned evil and murdered people? (I think part of it was since he freaked out and abandoned the creature as soon as he saw it come to life.) And it was interesting how the monster said he was driven to be evil since he wasn't able to receive any kindness.

I loved the ending. I thought it was perfect and eloquent. It gave me chills when Victor died, the monster said he was going up north to find the most desolated spot and kill himself by setting himself on fire.

I'm putting this on my favorites. It's not a book that makes my heart soar but definitely makes me think.