missreader

Miss Reader

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne

Source: Free version on Amazon.

Originally published: 1850

Pages: 292

First sentence: A throng of bearded men, in sad-colored garments and gray, steeple-crowned hats, intermixed with women, some wearing hoods, and others bareheaded, was assembled in front of a wooden edifice, the door of which was heavily timbered with oak, and studded with iron spikes.

I read this since my younger sister has to read it for school. I'm glad that I wasn't doing it as an assignment, because I wasn't really into this.

The story itself was good even though the man Hester had an affair with was no surprise at all. It was interesting how differently the characters tackled their guilt.

Hester's daughter was annoying. She seemed like a brat to me rather than this oh so special nature child the author was trying to show.

Author's writing style was terrible. So many unnecessary details that didn't add to the story. I skipped over these kind of paragraphs, and I kept thinking that this would have been better off as a short story.

I can't see how this is considered a classic. Also don't see how this is relevant today especially for high school reading since cheating on your partner is nothing out of the ordinary these days. There's got to be something better.